Welcome to GlenLary Estate
At GlenLary Estate, we care for Horses & provide Hospitality. Not far from Paris, Kentucky, atop 80 acres of rolling Kentucky bluegrass sits this working horse farm. Two historic lodging facilities overlook the horses and a peaceful pond.
We host retirees and also offer a variety of boarding options, including stay-over boarding for travelers and visiting event competitors. The on-site lodging facilities allow guests to stay nearby, subject to availability.
GlenLary Estate is also the premier location for a simply elegant wedding or special event. The breathtaking backdrops of the green pastures, majestic horses and rustic barns of GlenLary perfectly compliment a Kentucky wedding. Choose from a sophisticated tented gala between the Lary House and the Lairy Cabin or a rustic barn wedding in the converted black tobacco barn which has been converted stable horses.
From sophisticated casual to exclusively formal, the Estate offers several event sites including indoor and outdoor venues. An historic Tobacco barn, converted to stable horses offers a magic setting for an authentic barn wedding.
GlenLary Estate welcomes visitors from across town and around the world. Our country charm and southern hospitality provides a relaxing and peaceful environment.
Your family, friends and assorted horses are sure to find GlenLary comfortable and inviting. The stately manor and rustic cabin provide ample room for a great family gathering or celebration.
A Little Lary History
The Lary House, built in 1840, echoes Greek revival architecture that was popular in the day. John Curtright Lary (1810-1875), oversaw the construction, with the help of Colonel Edmund Pendleton (1788-1880), Lary’s future father -in-law. Lary's Grandfather, Dennis (Lairy) Sr, was a militiaman in the Revolutionary War. Pendleton may have been related to the Virginian, Edmund Pendleton.
Dennis Lairy, a pioneer of Scotch-Irish descent, was among those thousands of Virginians who migrated to what is now known as Kentucky during or at the end of the Revolutionary War. He built what is now called the “Lairy Cabin”, which has been restored and relocated to the grounds of the GlenLary Estate. In the early 1800’s the spelling of the Lairy name became known as Lary.
Images of Lairy Cabin Restoration
GlenLary is not just a venue for romantic weddings, we also host Reunions, Anniversaries, family gatherings, corporate dinners and galas on the Estate. Our history dates back to 1790 when the old Cabin was built down by Cartwright Station, a couple of miles east of today's GlenLary Estate.
John Curtright Lary’s son, John Curtis, was a "Renaissance man". He was an artist, a teacher and spoke several languages including French, and Italian. In 1878 John Curtis Lary became the talk of the county when he left Clintonville and sailed from New York to Bremen on the German steamship Rhein, there he toured Europe on a big wheel bicycle. After returning to Kentucky, hardships made it difficult to maintain the majestic Estate. The Lary House and property was sold in 1905 and did not make it back into the “Lary” family until it was purchased by Dr. Banning Gray Lary and his wife Katherine in 2007. The house is still called the "Lary House."